Saturday, October 24, 2009

Weezer + Lil' Wayne = Huh?

I'm pretty sure Weezer has gone completely off the deep end. Off the deep end of awesome! Am I right? Eh, well maybe. The following song has literally no reason to exist. It's a leak off of their new album, hilariously titled Raditude, which, yes, stands for "Radical Attitude."

Anyhoo, in case (okay, when) this Youtube video I linked to is yanked off the internet by the powers that be, this song could be best described as, "What?" It's a song about how Rivers, a self-admitted stone-cold sober Buddhist, can't stop partying. And it's done in a style that, in a move nobody fucking saw coming, splits the difference between Weezer's steadfast rock and the ubiquitous Timbaland-aping synth-n-b that dominates the radio right now.

The main craziest part of the song comes at 2:05 when Lil' Wayne hops in the fray and puts the weirdness of this song perfectly succinctly: "It's Weezer and Weezy, upside-down MTV." I don't even know whether this is good or not. Part of me says it's awesome, and the rest of me says, "Uh, what?" Anyway, here it is:



I have no idea whether this song (which I can only assume is going to be released as a single) is going to be a massive, genre-transcending hit or the the bonehead move that finally kills Weezer in the way that the emo-tastic Make Believe and the Red album could not. A quick trip down Wikipedia lane reveals that Polow da Don (the guy who produced "Throw Some D's" for Rich Boy, which was a pretty big hit in my neck of the woods) produced for the album, as well as, um, Dr. Luke, the Swede who wrote Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone."

Raditude comes out November 3rd. The album cover is to the left. Do with that information what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment